Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The 21st Century Pharisees

When Jesus walked the streets and hills of Galilee, he often met the religious leaders of the day. He often took the opportunity to correct some of their thinking and practices that he found to be in error. In reading about some of the things he said, you might think that Jesus despised the Pharisees and other religious leaders of the day. Nothing can be further from the truth. Jesus loved the Pharisees, but he sought to correct their misguided thoughts and attitudes.
On one occasion, Jesus was invited for a meal by a Pharisee (the Pharisees loved Jesus as well, though their motives might not have been as honourable). On this occasion, which is recorded in Luke 11:37 – 53, Jesus’ host was surprised when he sat down for the meal without engaging in the ceremonial washing of hands as per Jewish custom. Knowing what his host was thinking, Jesus took the opportunity to set some matters straight.
A few years ago I got very angry when the government legalised abortion in South Africa. Many Christians were more vocal than I have been about the issue, although I was as disturbed as they were about it. They collected signatures to petition the government, they picketed in front of Parliament. I personally signed one petition circulated via e-mail.
Recently I have wondered about what Jesus’ opinion would be about such matters? I have tried to imagine what he might say if he walked the streets of Accra, Harare, Johannesburg, Kampala, Lagos, or Nairobi today. Looking at his approach to religious issues of his day, this is what I saw in my mind’s eye.
I saw Jesus coming across a large Christian demonstration in front of Parliament, where the legalization of abortion is being discussed. A Christian journalist rushes forward to get Jesus’ comments on both the demonstration and the immoral politicians inside parliament. “Lord, what do you say about the legalisation of abortion being discussed here today?” the journalist asks.
Turning around to face the crowds, Jesus starts to speak, and all the chanting of slogans stops. In his typical style, Jesus ignores the journalist’s question, and addresses the attitudes, thoughts and religious opinion behind the question.
“Woe to you religious people! For you are quick to condemn the mother who aborts her baby, yet you turn a blind eye to the plight of thousands of homeless, hungry, street children who roam your streets!”
“Woe to some of you religious people! For you are quick to condemn the young orphaned girls who prostitute themselves to survive, yet you won’t support the orphans and widows in your churches!”
“Woe to you religious people! For you are quick to condemn the corrupt politicians who pass immoral laws, instigate civil wars and plunder their countries, and you turn away the refugees who turn up at your borders.”
“Woe to you religious people! For you are quick to condemn the greedy company executives and directors who defraud their shareholders of millions of dollars, yet you yourselves defraud my Father of his offerings every month!”
When Jesus turned around to talk to the journalist, he found that he had run off down the street to take pictures of a pro-abortionist and Christian demonstrator who were exchanging some very unkind words.
“But Lord, aren’t prostitution, abortion, corruption, civil war, fraud and all these other things wrong?” asks one of the Christian leaders leading the demonstration.
“Oh my friend! It is not a question of whether these things are right or wrong. Indeed those things are wrong. However, it is about how you respond to these wrongs. Do you criticise and condemn, or do you show love and support to the victims of these wrongs? My Father "desires mercy and not sacrifice". As for the politicians inside this parliament, show them respect and pray for them.”

2 comments:

  1. I am jewish and have the orthodox jewish bible NO WHERE does it say that Jesus is the AZAZEL stop lying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had the flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting in underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was that I enjoyed smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they started to find a solution on their own to help my condition.I  diagnosed with this COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable.. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked it. On searching, internet my husband saw a testimony of a brother, Nathaniel, how he was also cured of COPD lungs. By a herbalist doctor Akhigbe with his herbal medicine and the brother also wrote the doctor contact on the testimony. We contacted the doctor I was writing to and my husband was writing to him too. The doctor told us what to do and the next week I received the herbal medicine. It was really unbelievable after I finished the medicine. Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine is supernatural, that is how I was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of  Dr Akhigbe with his  herbal medicine cure. Here is his email   [drrealakhigbe@gmail.com}   He has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and other diseases, his medicine will cure you completely and permanently with his natural organic herbs,We received the medicine through courier delivery service. I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life. It's a lesson I learned and never to forget in my life now I promise my God myself and my family never to smoke again.. All thanks to doctor  Akhigbe, the real herbalist doctor with natural herbs who have cured different people with their different problems.
    Dr Akhighe also cured diseases like, HERPES, DIABETES, HIV/AIDS, COPD, CANCER,ASTHMA,STROKE,LUPUS,JOINT PAIN,CHRONIC DISEASES,PARKINSON DISEASES,TUBERCULOSIS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,BREAST INFECTION,WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM, GINGIVITIS, ERYSIPELAS,STAPHYLOCOCCUS,HEPATITIS A/B, QUICK EJACULATION, IMMUNOTHERAPY, GONORRHEA,SYPHILIS,WAST/BACK PAIN,PELVIC INFLAMMATORY, DICK ENLARGEMENT,HEART DISEASES,TERMINAL ILLNESS,SHIFT IN FOCUS,ATAXIA,COMMON COLD, HEART HEALTH, CROHN'S DISEASES,ALCOHOL SPECTRUM DISORDER,GRAVES DISEASE,HEARING LOSS, ANTI VIRUS,  INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS,LEUKEMIA,MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS,OBESITY,RABIES,SCOLIOSIS,INFLUENZA, POLIO,JACOB,ETC. If you are out there looking for your cure please  contact  dr Akhigbe  by his email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com     or contact his whatsapp number   +2348025012866
    God bless you Dr Akhigbe for your good hand work on my life.

    ReplyDelete